Sunday, November 17, 2013

MYST POST #4



For my fourth MYST post, I watched the movie “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”, by Stephen Chbosky. I decided to watch it because it was a rainy day, and my girlfriend really wanted me to see it because it’s her favorite movie. The story follows a boy named Charlie in his freshman year of high school. He doesn’t have many friends, and is a generally shy and antisocial kid until he befriends a group of seniors. As we follow Charlie through his first year of high school, we see adversity arise in many different ways. The story covers topics like depression, suicide, love, homosexuality, and drugs, and ends up being a very real view of a teenager’s life. By following Charlie in his story, it ends up relating to the viewers life as well, which made it a very powerful and touching movie.


One part that was especially memorable to me was the final scene of the movie. After Charlie’s senior friends go away to college, he is left alone again. His depression comes back, and he ends up getting put in a psychiatric hospital for treatment. Everything seems to be spiraling downward into a tragic end, when his two closest friends come back to visit. They take him on a car ride through a tunnel they used to drive through together, and Charlie comes to a moment of realization where he fully appreciates everything he has in his life. The whole story leads up to this point, and the music and filming make it into a really special scene.




I thought one of the best parts of the movie was the music. Because it was made to appeal to teenagers, it used upbeat, modern, music in most of the scenes. In other, more serious scenes, the music also fit really well. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there actually was some element of cinematography involved. In the scene I mentioned above, as well as in many others, long sight lines and perspective made the characters seem either big or small, depending on the situation. The lighting was also dark during the sad scenes, and really bright during the happy ones. It was nice to see that amount of care put into what would normally just be a standard teen movie. It reminded me of the movie Brick we watched in class, with some film noir elements and dry humor spread throughout. It was actually really successful in terms of artistic style and cinematography, which was a nice surprise.


Overall, I would give The Perks of Being a Wallflower a 10/10. I really, really liked it, which is rare for movies of this type. Even though it’s a typical teenage girl’s movie, I thought it was actually really really well done stylistically. I feel like to give anything less than a 10 would be unfair, because there was simply nothing that this movie did badly. Steven Chbosky’s original story provides a real look at a high-schooler’s life, and I think anyone who watches this movie can relate to, and learn from the messages this movie portrays. I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially those in high school, to watch this. Don’t be afraid of the “girly” aura that it might exude, this is a competent exploration of life and what it means to appreciate everything we have. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie.

6 comments:

  1. Love love love love love this movie. I agree with you when your said that the music was the aspect of this movie. I loved some of the soundtracks to much that i had to get them off iTunes. I'm really glad u liked this movie because like u said it is mostly attracted towards girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like this movie. This is one of my all-time favorite movies and books. I agree with you that the music added a unique element to the movie. The music was spot on, in fact I even downloaded some of it after I watched the movie. I didn't notice the stylistic elements as much as you did (I guess I was too involved with the plot), but its interesting how you interpreted them and pointed them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoyed reading your blog, i don't think i'll love this movie as much as Rebecca Silver Andrade does apparently, but it seems ok. i usually don't tend to like movies where it's about depression or lonely teenagers who are going through weird phases they kind of creep me out but i enjoyed reading your blog who knows i may give this one a try

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant, good job on the review! I totally agree with you. This movie was so amazing and it is actually one of my favorite movies. I think many people tend to write it off like you said just because it appears to be a typical teen girl movie. However, the messages and experiences portrayed have a much deeper meaning and effect. My favorite part of the movie was also the ending. I think this movie also kind of relates to Rebel Without a Cause. Both movies have similar elements and ideas. You did a great job analyzing this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job here Grant. You spotlight some really good details. I've heard lots of positive reviews of this movie--I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete